Asexuality and Race
According to a census of the ace community by AVEN in 2014, of over 10,000 ace people surveyed, 77.3% of respondents identified themselves as "White (NonHispanic)." Ace communities are highly dominated by white people and white voices. How does this impact understandings and perceptions of asexuality more generally? How does the relationship between whiteness and asexuality alter understandings of your own asexuality as an ace person? What is your experience as an ace person of color? How can the centrality of whiteness in the ace community be dismantled? Submissions are not limited to the discussion or questions posed here, this is simply one potential origination point on exploring this theme of race and asexuality more broadly. Other related themes to explore in this issue are transnational asexualities, especially in majority non-English-speaking countries, and the intersections of asexuality and ethnicity.
Deadline: January 20th, 2018
What to Submit:
On the above theme(s), The Asexual is currently accepting poetry, prose, fiction, nonfiction, personal essays, academic essays, abstract written pieces, and any other form of writing. The Asexual also accepts photography, recorded videos, music, speeches, recited poetry, sketches, drawings, paintings, comics, abstract artistic work, and any other form of visual and/or recorded media.
Submissions can be under a pseudonym. Submissions can be in languages other than English.
Poetry should be under 50 lines and all writing should be under 3,000 words (if you would like to submit a longer piece, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a DM on Twitter prior to submission for confirmation). Please note that music or video submissions will not be included in the print edition of the journal. Instead, a link to these sources will be included in the print journal with your bio. You may also choose to include a description of the media.
If you are submitting written work, your submission should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If you are submitting images, your submission should be in .jpeg/.jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .tiff, or any widely-used image format. If you are submitting music or video, your submission should be in any widely-used audio or video format.
Also, you must include a short bio, 50-150 words written in 3rd person (this may include your location, how you identify, previous publications, education, any social media links or website links you would like to share, and more).
- The Asexual aims to respond within 2 weeks if your submission has been accepted for publication.
- Your submission may undergo a short editing process. You have the choice for final approval.
- All publications are paid at the current rate of $2.5o for poems and $5.00 for essays/artwork/other, as per the most recently surpassed Patreon goal. Payments will be distributed electronically via Paypal following the publication of the issue online and in print. You may also choose to opt out of payment if you so wish.
- You retain copyright of your work upon publication.
- You agree to give The Asexual first serial/electronic and print rights, and electronic and print archival rights. You agree to allow your work to be published online and in print/physical release and to be promoted on any social media of The Asexual. You agree to allow your work to be available for download in PDF format and on the TheAsexual.com upon release for free as well as for purchase in physical format. You also agree that if the work is published subsequently, either online or in print, credit to The Asexual is provided.