A(gender): An Anthology
On the gender spectrum, those who gravitate nearest agender may define their identity as wholly or partially being without gender or as gender neutral. Agender identity plays an important role in deconstructing the binary while also challenging notions of gender more broadly. The Asexual invites agender people to submit their work for inclusion in an anthology that will include pieces which grapple or intersect with the theme of gender from an agender perspective. Submissions may involve explorations in navigating gender expectations, expressing agender identity, agender and the body, and more. The greater purpose of this anthology is to provide a space that is amplifying the unheard narratives, perspectives, and artistic expressions of agender people.
Deadline: August 1st, 2018
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
On the above theme(s), A(gender): An Anthology is accepting poetry, prose, fiction, nonfiction, personal essays, academic essays, abstract written pieces, and any other form of writing. A(gender): An Anthology will also be accepting photography, recorded videos, music, speeches, recited poetry, sketches, drawings, paintings, comics, abstract artistic work, and any other form of visual and/or recorded media.
Submissions can be under a pseudonym. Submissions can be in languages other than English.
Poetry should be under 100 lines and all writing should be under 4,000 words (if you would like to submit a longer piece, please send an email to email@example.com or a DM on Twitter prior to submission for confirmation). Please note that music or video submissions will not be included in the print edition of the journal. Instead, a link to these sources will be included in the print journal with your bio. You may also choose to include a description of the media.
If you are submitting written work, your submission should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If you are submitting images, your submission should be in .jpeg/.jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .tiff, or any widely-used image format. If you are submitting music or video, your submission should be in any widely-used audio or video format.
Also, you must include a short bio, 50-100 words written in 3rd person (this may include your location, how you identify, previous publications, affiliation, any social media links or website links you would like to share, and more).
- The Asexual aims to respond within 2 weeks if your submission has been accepted for publication.
- Your submission may undergo a short editing process. You have the choice for final approval.
- All publications are paid at the current rate of $2.50 for poems and $5.00 for essays/artwork/other, as per the most recently surpassed Patreon goal. Payments will be distributed electronically via Paypal following the publication of the issue online and in print. You may also choose to opt out of payment if you so wish.
- You retain copyright of your work upon publication.
- You agree to give The Asexual first serial/electronic and print rights, and electronic and print archival rights. You agree to allow your work to be published online and in print/physical release and to be promoted on any social media of The Asexual. You agree to allow your work to be available for download in PDF format and on the TheAsexual.com upon release for free as well as for purchase in physical format. You also agree that if the work is published subsequently, either online or in print, credit to The Asexual is provided.