Submissions are now OPEN for Vol. 1, Issue 4
Issue Theme: On the intersections of Asexuality and Race
According to a census of the ace community conducted by AVEN in 2014, of over 10,000 ace people surveyed, 77.3% of respondents identified themselves as "White (NonHispanic)." Ace communities are highly dominated by white people and white voices. How does this impact understandings and perceptions of asexuality more generally? How does the relationship between whiteness and asexuality alter understandings of your own asexuality as an ace person? What is your experience as an ace person of color? How can the centrality of whiteness in the ace community be dismantled? Submissions are not limited to the discussion or questions posed here, this is simply one potential origination point on exploring this theme of race and asexuality more broadly. Other related themes to explore in this issue are transnational asexualities, especially in majority non-English-speaking countries, and the intersections of asexuality and ethnicity.
The only requirement is that you identify under the ace umbrella. This journal was created with the intention of providing a space for ace people to share their life experiences and stories through their work.
What to Submit: Writing or Artwork or Music or Video
The Asexual accepts poetry, prose, nonfiction, personal essays, academic essays, abstract pieces, disjointed thoughts, and many other forms of writing. The Asexual accepts photography, recorded videos, music, speeches, recited poetry, sketches, drawings, paintings, comics, abstract artistic work, any many other forms of visual and recorded media.
Poetry should be under 50 lines and all writing should be under 3,000 words (if you would like to submit a longer piece, please send an email to email@example.com or a DM on Twitter prior to submission for confirmation). Please note that music or video submissions will not be included in the print edition of the journal. Instead, a link to these sources will be included in the print journal with your bio. You may also choose to include a description of the media.
- Your submission in Microsoft Word or PDF format if writing, or any widely-used image format if visual art, or any widely-used sound if music, or any video format if video.
- Short bio, 50-150 words written in 3rd person (this may include your location, how you identify, previous publications, education, any social media links or website links you would like to share, and more).
Other Info: The Asexual accepts Pseudonyms and Non-English Work
Your submission can be submitted under a pseudonym. When you send in your submission, simply include the pseudonym you would like the work to be listed with in your email. I will make sure that your pseudonym is used.
The Asexual accepts submissions in languages other than English. The Asexual wants to be as inclusive of all ace people as possible, not just ace people who speak English. However, if you are submitting work that is not in English, it would be preferred if you could send a loose translation of your work, if possible or necessary.
Publication: Payment and Copyright
- The Asexual aims to respond within 2 weeks if your submission has been accepted for publication.
- Your submission may undergo a short editing process. You have the choice for final approval.
- All publications are paid at the current rate of $2.5o for poems and $5.00 for essays/artwork/other, as per the most recently surpassed Patreon goal. Payments will be distributed electronically via Paypal following the publication of the issue online and in print. You may also choose to opt out of payment if you so wish.
- You retain copyright of your work upon publication.
- You agree to give The Asexual first serial/electronic and print rights, and electronic and print archival rights. You agree to allow your work to be published online and in print/physical release and to be promoted on any social media of The Asexual. You agree to allow your work to be available for download in PDF format and on the TheAsexual.com upon release for free as well as for purchase in physical format. You also agree that if the work is published subsequently, either online or in print, credit to The Asexual is provided.
Deadline: January 20th, 2017
Send Submissions: AsexualJournal@gmail.com
Article Submissions Guidelines:
If you are interested in submitting a short article to be featured on the website and promoted on The Asexual's social media accounts, read the following guidelines:
The only requirement is that you identify under the ace umbrella. This website was created with the intention of providing a space that centers asexual/ace perspectives, narratives, and activism.
What to Submit:
Article submissions DO NOT necessarily have to intersect with asexuality. All of your perspectives as an ace person are important. Some potential themes for article topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Your interpretation of asexuality/ace representation or representation more generally in media (book, film, television, video game, etc.).
- A self-analysis of what identifying as an asexual/ace person means to you and why. A self-analysis of another aspect of your identity.
- A description of a recent event that intersected with asexuality or included asexual/ace people.
- An analysis of asexuality and its intersections with queerness, queer pride, and/or queer discourse. An analysis of queer pride more generally.
- Reviewing media (book, film, television show, music, etc.) that intersects with asexuality in some manner.
1. Article, 400 – 1,500 words in Microsoft Word format or PDF format (Must be original work and preferably previously unpublished).
2. Author Bio, 50 – 150 words written in 3rd person (You may include any of the following info: your city, region, state, country, etc., how you identify, education, previous publications, other).
3. Square Picture (of yourself or an image you would like to represent your work on The Asexual to accompany your bio).
Make sure to include:
1. Title of your article (Less than 10 words preferably).
2. Any website links or social media @’s you would like to include (include these in your bio).
3. Any pictures you would like to use as a background image or in your article (these should be images you own the copyright to, such as your own work). If you do not include image(s), that is fine, an image of nature will be used as your background image, as has been done for other article images on The Asexual.
4. If you would like to receive payment, please also send a PayPal address with your submission).
1. All publications are paid at the current rate of $2.50 for articles published on TheAsexual.com, as per the most recently surpassed Patreon goal. Payments will be distributed electronically via PayPal following the publication of the article
2. Owner retains copyright of work upon publication.
3. You agree to give The Asexual first serial/electronic and electronic archival rights. You agree to allow your article to be published online and to be promoted on any social media of The Asexual. You also agree that if the work is published subsequently, either online or in print, credit to The Asexual is provided.