Current Calls For Submissions
The Asexual: General Submissions
If you are looking to publish a submission on The Asexual website that does not intersect with any of our current Calls for Submissions, this is the right place for you! The Asexual is formally introducing an opportunity for writers and artists to submit articles, collections, abstract expressions, and more that may or may not intersect or resonate with asexuality or ace experiences. Although most content on The Asexual will focus on asexuality, it is important to uplift and amplify voices in communities that may or may not resonate or relate to asexuality in more amorphous respects or in their similar marginalization or social status. In the realm of the abject; on the fringes of queer intelligibility; we all deserve a voice, and The Asexual is here to amplify your voice.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
On the above theme(s), The Asexual is currently accepting poetry, prose, fiction, nonfiction, personal essays, academic essays, abstract written pieces, and any other form of writing. The Asexual also accepts photography, recorded videos, music, speeches, recited poetry, sketches, drawings, paintings, comics, abstract artistic work, and any other form of visual and/or recorded media or creative expression.
Submissions can be under a pseudonym. Submissions can be in languages other than English.
- Asexual, demisexual, gray-ace, aromantic, agender, demigender, and other similarly marginalized identities on the outskirts of queer and social intelligibility.
- Defining Asexuality: how do we define ourselves and how are we defined, what may the benefits be of retaining an amorphous definition of asexuality, discussions of gatekeeping, etc.
- Resonances: virginity, celibacy, nonsexuality, lack of sexuality, sexual desire, sexual attraction, love, romanticism, and other related experiences.
- Understanding Attraction: sexual, romantic, sensual, aesthetic, emotional, intellectual, etc.
- Queer Asexualities: asexuality and the queer community, ace exclusion/inclusion from queerness, understanding queer identity, queer spaces.
Note: This list is certainly not exclusive, and there are plenty of other themes and topics of which your article may intersect or resonate. Not all submissions are required to intersect with asexuality directly or even partially.
Poetry should be under 200 lines and all writing should be under 6,000 words (if you would like to submit a longer piece, please send an email to email@example.com or a DM on Twitter prior to submission for confirmation). Please note that music or video submissions will not be included in the print edition of the journal. Instead, a link to these sources will be included in the print journal with your bio. You may also choose to include a description of the media.
If you are submitting written work, your submission should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If you are submitting images, your submission should be in .jpeg/.jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .tiff, or any widely-used image format. If you are submitting music or video, your submission should be in any widely-used audio or video format.
If you are submitting visual artwork, or any other non-text submission, please include a short (150-250 words) description of your piece in 1st person. Example: "I created this piece because..." "This piece represents...." etc.
- All articles/submissions are subjected to an editing process.
- You agree to allow your submission to be published online and to be promoted on any social media of The Asexual. (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Medium). Your social media handle will be included when your submission is promoted on social media.
There is no deadline at this time. Submissions are now open.